Reminiscent Reunion

Alice and I arrived in Rock Hall early Friday evening, just as the skies to our East started to grow darker.  We knew we were in a race against time.  There was definitely a front moving in with what looked like a doozy of a storm brewing, leaving us with only a precious few minutes before it was upon us.

Our gear was unloaded from the Jeep in a flash. We power-walked our carts down the dock and unloaded our supplies in record time, just before the skies unloaded a torrential downpour.

Checking the forecast, we learned we were in for three hours of heavy rain. So, we decided to make the most of our situation and settled in to re-watch the final two episodes of last season’s Game of Thrones.

When the storm finally abated, the skies turned pink, signaling a good boating day ahead, when my high school friend, Al, and his beautiful wife, Mary, were visiting.

Saturday rolled around and Al and Mary arrived under a mix of sun and clouds with very hot temperatures. We decided to sip on some Mermaid Water before heading out on the Bay, and it’s a good thing we did. We learned the next day that a water spout had crossed the Bay, right in front of the bridge, along our planned route to the Magothy River. We missed it by less than 30 minutes.

The Magothy was still and the heat building when we arrived. Our resident buccaneer, Al, hung my Pirate flag and we settled in for the afternoon.

Despite the heat, we used the electric grill and fired up some burgers, enjoying them with a crunchy vegetable salad. The only plundering we had the energy for was stealing a few cold Coronas from the cooler.

Our trip back was choppy, with the spray from the waves occasionally hitting me in the helm. That didn’t stop Al and I from signing along to my old school playlist at the top of our lungs.

That evening we, once again, hit Watermans Crab House for dinner and live music. We hung out well past dinner, singing along to the band and playing name that tune to their classic rock set.

Back at the boat, with the ladies asleep, Al and I sipped on two fingers of Bullet bourbon while reminiscing and catching up on the latest comings and goings, before eventually settling into our respective cabins.

After Sunday morning breakfast we set out on a dingy ride around the marina.  Soon it was time for this week’s crew to depart. We kissed and hugged and said our goodbyes to Al and Mary.

As we walked back to the dock I couldn’t help but start singing some Little River Band.  The song, Reminiscing, was on at full volume inside my head:

“Now As the Years Roll On/Each Time We Hear Our Favorite Song/The Memories Come Along”

Fair Winds & Following Seas,

Keith ⚓️


Pink Skies at Night, Sailor’s Delight


From Fall River, Mass. to Rock Hall, Md – Connolly Cougars ’78

Ahoy, Me Hearties!

Another Yummy Crab House Dinner


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *